The JOIN THE GAME project aims to develop an urban game to encourage girls and young women to take on stereotypically masculine professions. The project is co-funded by the Erasmus+ programme of the European Union.
When choosing a career, girls often reject masculinized occupations (i.e. those in which there are more men than women, or are considered "masculine" in the social consciousness). This applies to both vocational and higher education. Girls do not take these occupations into account, despite the fact that they are in greater demand on the labour market and are associated with better wages, as research shows.
This is due to the stereotypes young women encounter from an early age. Their beliefs about their own abilities and predispositions (deepened by the formal education system) as well as the expectations laid on women to combine their careers with traditionally female responsibilities (running a home, raising children, caring for parents, etc.) restrict girls’ career choices considerably.
The JOIN THE GAME project aims to create a pedagogical tool in the form of an urban game that will allow girls to explore masculinized occupations and try new skills in a safe setting. It will provide an innovative approach to encourage girls to consider careers across the spectrum of occupations, regardless of existing stereotypes and increase their chances on the labour market.
The JOIN THE GAME project gathers 4 European partners:
- Fundacja Laboratorium Zmiany (Poland - coordinator)
- Fundacio Universitaria Balmes (Spain)
- Udruga za Ljudska Prava i Gradansku Participaciju Pariter (Croatia)
- Pour la Solidarité (Belgium)
This consortium has previously successfully collaborated on another European project (CROSSROADS).
- Description of the JOIN THE GAME urban game and instructions on how to play it, including a cheat sheet on how to create safe spaces
- Instructions on how to adapt the game to different player needs
- Additional tips for playing the game, further defining the role and tasks of the game facilitator
- Audiovisual material to promote and open the game